For many people, while switching to plant-based food,their immediate concern is to find alternatives to dairy products like milk. Because of this, manufacturers specializing in the segment of vegan food products began producing different varieties of plant-based milk alternatives. One such item that we have been using for many years is coconut milk for food preparations in various cuisines. The purpose of this article is to give you an overview of plant-based milk products.
The Main Reasons People Try Plant-Based Milk
- Lactose intolerance
- Veganism and the vegan diet
- Ethical reasons
- Health conditions like inflammatory bowel syndrome, and Cohn’s disease.
- Concerns regarding the use of antibiotics in dairy farming.
- Looking for a milk alternative that has a creamy taste.
Wide Variety Of Choices
One of the huge benefits of opting for plant-based milkis the wide variety of choices available. Some of the popular ones are almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and soy milk. Oat milk has been there since the 1990s, and now with the surge in people opting for plant-based foods, it has seen a resurgence in demand. Other options available in this category of plant-based milk are hazelnut, cashew, rice, flax, hemp, pea, quinoa, and macadamia.
Listed below are the nutritional values of plant-based milkwhen compared to cow milk.
- Oat milk has as many calories as cow milk, while other plant-based milkis low in calorific value.
- Most plant-based milk has 25 to 63% fat compared to cow milk.
- All plant-based milk is low in their protein content except pea protein milk.
- Pea protein milk contains more protein than cow milk.
- All plant-based milk has comparable sodium to that of cow milk.
- Hazelnut and oat milk has higher sugar content than cow milk.
- Almond, flaxseed, and pea milk have higher calcium than cow milk.
In short, plant-based milkhas less fat, fewer calories, less protein, more water content, and other fortified vitamins and minerals than cow milk. They are a good option for adults but may not be as good for children because of the relatively less nutritional content, and parents must be aware of this.
Different Taste And Flavours
Plant-based milkcan add new tastes and flavors to our regular beverages like coffee. For example, chocolate-hazelnut milk can make your regular coffee taste more like Nutella, and oat milk is a good choice for making lattes.
On a final note, plant-based milk does not do better with heat compared to cow milk, so you must take care when using them in food preparations.